X-Men: World of MutantsLog in

descriptionCompleteAny Port in a Storm (pg-13)

more_horiz
Russia had given Kas a ton of things to consider. Life was changing so rapidly, he started to feel like a ship lost in a tidal wave. The major question on his mind was- emminent crash? New York's streets were more dangerous than he'd ever pictured, with several anti-mutant groups seeminly always on the watch for anyone doing strange and unusual things.
Vegas wasn't as preoccupied with the issue. It was far from the iconic X-school, and most of the tourists there were busy blowing all of thier cash to care about some freaks, unless the problem was right there in their face.

Traveling by airplane made him realize something, though. Kas really liked the view from a high place looking down. He also realized he hadn't been to most of New York City's major tourist attractions.. it was time to see one.

The Empire State building's top floor proved to be everything he hoped. The sight was spectacular. He could have stayed here all day, just watching and thinking. Luck wasn't often on his side, however. Sooner or later, there would be a reason to leave, but he would stay here gazing out dreamily at the city for as long as fate would allow it.

descriptionCompleteRe: Any Port in a Storm (pg-13)

more_horiz
Rachel could get into any place she wanted to. While she could get way better look from the top, she decided it was too cold to stay outside, so she was going to go inside. Rachel was dressed warmly for the weather. That moment in Russian where she was shot and then barely made out alive, scared Rachel very much. She wasn't the kind of person to be scared so easily. But death was not a joking to Rachel. If she was going to die, she wanted to be peaceful and not so painful.

Walking into the viewing floor of the Empire State Building, Rachel looked around. She approached the window and then looked to he left only to see Kas standing there. Well, that was a surprise. "So, what you been up to after mission to Russian, toilet?" asked Rachel, without looking at him.

more_horiz
"Ha ha." Issuing a false humor, Kas glanced over at the feisty woman, smirking just a bit.
"Nothing much, honey-bun. You look like you're doing well for someone that almost took a dirt nap."

Truthfully, it had scared him too. Kas didn't know much about Rachel, but he certainly didn't want her blood on his hands, so to speak.
Moments of silence could pass while he stayed there, staring out over NYC.

"So.. why did you stay behind?"
The question of the hour. Why tell someone else not to take risks, and do so yourself; almost perishing in the process? Rather hypocritical.. and it stung. Didn't she think that he knew what he was doing? Was she really so selfless a person she would have died to save that kid?
One minute, she's talking about making people beg for death's release like some serial-killer nutjob; the next she's trying to become a martyr.

"I don't get you.."

more_horiz
Rachel smirked at the question. She knew that it will not go away so easily without some explanation. She turned back to Kas. "I knew you'd be able to defend yourself against those guards. I did. But why risk someone else's life when your own isn't that good enough." said Rachel, pulling out her phone and looking at the time. She wasn't really concerned about time, it was always on her side. "I was cut off from the doors and I had to find another way out, and I knew I wasn't going to go through the door without bullets in my body. So, I had to lose the guards. You see...my life isn't worth more than yours, or Jason's or anyone elses for that matter. If I were die, no one would miss me, because I have no one to live for, other than myself." said Rachel.

"I wasn't trying to be hero. Hell...anyone can be a hero. But it's that feeling you get knowing that you saved someone's life who can make a difference in a world. That's what I was doing." said Rachel. "If it wasn't for Peter coming after me, I'd be living in Moscow probably...or in a worst case scenario I'd be dead." said Rachel. "Now that you heard my story. Care to explain why you decided to join the mission? I still don't buy that bullshit you told me on our way to Russia." asked Rachel, smiling as she turning back to the window and starring out.

more_horiz
"Seems we have a little common ground, then." Remarking dryly of her views of having no one but herself, he tilted his head and looked at her as Rachel proceeded to again prod at his reasonings. Why did he decide to risk life and limb for a bunch of people he scarcely knew?

"Okay. We'll play it that way. An answer for an answer."
He breathed a sigh, turning around and squaring his shoulders against the cool window behind him.
"I'm trying to make up for all the lives I've taken. Balance things out. It's one thing to know you're going to die- it's another to know you're going to hell when you do.."

He shrugged. Seemed simple enough, right? Though he'd lost countless nights of sleep over it.
"So, I guess it's my turn now? What are you doing in this city?"

He didn't picture Rachel to be the sort that wanders around looking for trouble, but he could be mistaken. He really didn't know much about her- or anyone here for that matter. While friends and companions weren't of a great concern; the cause of his fellow mutant was.
The Xavier school had their own agenda.. which he frankly saw as a moot point. Wasted potential. They could change so much with the people on their side- and yet they chose to remain idle, and react rather than act.
He was more of the 'get shit done' sort. Disable a problem before it becomes a threat..

"What is your goal?"

more_horiz
"Seems we have more common ground than we both let on to each other." said Rachel, commenting on his statement about helping others. She scoffed almost laughing. "It's funny, I am doing the same thing for others. But not because I wish to, I am trying to make up to those I have killed and hurt." said Rachel, placing her arms into pockets of her coat. "I killed others not because I wanted to, but because I was brainwashed into believing that world is a cruel place. Hell, I even killed my parents in their sleep." said Rachel, not showing any emotions to Kas. "And I still haven't forgiven myself for that."

"I am not the type of gal who would let stronger pick on weaker. So...when I see something is going down, I help. Usually my activities take place at night." Rachel shifted to her black outfit, she wore to mission in Russia. "I robbed a bank at the District X, so that I could protect innocent and weaker people. It makes no difference to me whether they are human or mutant. Everyone deserves to be saved." She looked at Kas once again. "But it appears New York's finest, do not agree on my point of view. Hunting me down is all they ever think about."

"What happened to you that you were forced to hurt others?" asked Rachel. She knew that nothing was guarantee. "By the way, if you'd be kind enough, keep the information about my nightly activities to yourself. I can't have the city know I am doing their dirty job." said Rachel, almost whispering.

more_horiz
"Your secrets are safe." He assured, turning somber while listening to Rachel's story. It was so hauntingly familiar in so many ways..

"You already know part of it." Speaking of their short snippets of conversation on the plane. Being a lab-rat stuck in a cage didn't yeild much opportunity to form one's own opinions. He was force-fed the idea that mutant supremacy was only a matter of time; or so he'd been told... It was just a bittersweet lie. Something for him to cling to- a reason to fight.
Ultimately, the reasons were all fake.

"I was programmed to kill. There's really no other way to say it. Humans, mostly. Mutants would get in the way sometimes, and I would have to.."
He stopped there, shaking his head and staring over his shoulder out the window.
"I don't know if you've ever heard of a place called Genosha? That is where my father learned what he knew. After it fell apart, he started his own operation. Dr. Moreau was one of his buddies..."
The fundamentals were different, twisted in their own ways. Though the idea was the same; Mutants were nothing more than property, to be used to further one's own ideals.
The supremacy was really in the hands of those in control..

"Anyway, there's your answer."

more_horiz
"That is why I am afraid to come close to anyone, anymore. In fear of knowing that person could take your chance at life and turn you into something terrible. Hence the reason I rely on sarcasm to cover my true feelings about things, I do not like to let people see me turn into a crying idiot." said Rachel. This was all well known to her. She has done those things before and she won't do it again. It was never going to happen again. Rachel looked at Kas as she nodded about him being a lab rat. She wished she could eradicate every sick son of a bitch who used humans or mutants for their own sick personal agenda.

Rachel turned back to the window, it was cold and she pulled her coat closer over her shoulders. "I guess to everyone who seeks supremacy we are nothing more but their play things. Well, I am done looking into those people's eyes and obeying their commands. It's about time we make our own history." said Rachel. "Is this Dr. Moreu still around? Maybe we can give him a peace of our mind. Let him know that you weren't meant to be a programmed killer." said Rachel

more_horiz
While he nodded to Rachel's story, Kas didn't have alot to say. It all made pefect sense. Keeping people at a distance was safer- because you never know when you would make the mistake of opening up to the wrong one. So far, however, he hadn't given anyone to take advantage of. He made no promises to anyone.

At the words 'make our own history', Kelly looked back from the window to the dark-haired woman and half-shrugged.
"I wouldn't know.. Dr. Moreau hasn't been seen or heard from him since the bad regime was broken up, and Genosha turned back into a mostly-normal country." Honestly, he didn't want to think about that possibility. The things that man did were sickening. Screwing with genetics, turning normal humans into 'mutates' who oftentimes became unstable, and tailoring mutants that cooperated with him to have more power than they could handle..

"It's best not to kick a dead horse. There are plenty of other problems to worry about."

more_horiz
"What other problems are we to worry about?" asked Rachel. She knew what he was talking about but she wanted to hear from him. "What might be your problems, might not be mine." Rachel scratched her forehead as she pulled her hands out of the pockets and folded them instead. "Where are you planning on going next? I mean, a person of your stature probably won't stick around in one place?" asked Rachel. She herself was thinking leaving New York and moving to somewhere else. But so far, she hasn't thought it all out. There was Stephan to worry about also, and she didn't like to leave him all alone in a mansion by himself. He was an old gentlemen who needed companionship.

more_horiz
"Well, there's always persecution of our kind going on. There's a big problem."
Kas replied passively. No, his problems weren't hers.. and that was the best way to leave it.

Mentioning leaving New York City made him shrug. In a year, he'd been to two cities.
"'My stature'? Please.." He shook his head. "I stay around where there's a cause. As long as no one is trying to throw me in jail. I've been thinking about leaving the country for a while. Getting out there and seeing the world."
The world he'd read so much about, but was never allowed to see.

"What about you? Not interested in sticking around and continuing your crusade against Wall Street?" He snikkered. "If you ever need a partner-in-crime, lemme know. I'm all for the idea of fucking with the power of the almighty dollar."
Next to mutants, the impoversed were an even greater subject of oppression. Add to that the majority of mutants were forced to be poor; and you had a cause worth fighting for.

more_horiz
Rachel shifted from one leg to another. "Not against Wall Street, against criminals. Be they human or mutant, I will not standby and watch them destroy New York. It's not going to happen, while I am around." said Rachel, as she yawned. Her nightly activities were taking a toll on her and she knew that, but was too dedicated to her cause to stop. Rachel knew there were always those who craved power over others and those who craved money even more. So, she stood up for those who couldn't stand up for themselves. Like elderly, kids and occasionally man and woman of New York City.

Prior to her leaving for the mission in Russia, the city was quiet. There were no crazy people running around with guns or uncontrollable mutant powers. "I am going to stick around New York for a little while longer. But maybe in a year or two, if I don't get killed before that time I'll move to Canada or something.," she chuckled.

more_horiz
"Canada? You must like the cold alot." He smiled a little. "You're kind of a crime-fighter then? I bet the NYPD really appreciates that." Sarcasm, of course. Cops always had the opinion that no one was above the law, and to solve matters by your own hand only made you another kind of criminal.
Las Vegas had taught him alot about avoiding police; but not because he was stopping crime..
Maybe, since atonement was the driving force of his actions, it was time to do something good for everyone.. not just the mutant community.

"Okay. Hell, why not. Here is my mobile number. If you ever need a hand with your vigilante work, I'm still willing to help out. The least I could do."

This he said while pulling out a receipt for some drive-thru, and scribbling his name and number on the back with a blue ink pen. Then he offered it to her with a nod.

more_horiz
"No, I don't like cold. It's just I want to be close to New York. If anything happens or my help is needed. I am just few states and a border away." said Rachel, smiling. She wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon. "Besides, I wouldn't mind living a less violent country...if you know what I mean?" Sure, Canada had its own crazy folks, running around the city, causing chaos. But at least it was nothing compare to United States.

Rachel took his phone number. "You are very straight forward, aren't ya? Getting down to business quickly. What's next, you are going to invite me to a dinner? Have a little bottle of champagne." Rachel burst out loud laughing. She was just joking. The less people she kept around herself, the better. She couldn't have them being in danger because of her. She would never forgive herself if someone close to her got killed.

more_horiz
"Canada is only less crazy because there are less people."
Considering only half the country was livable anyway.. who wanted to get crazy in those kind of temperatures?
Kas smiled a bit as she took the slip of paper and made a fair observation. He was to-the-point when it suited the situation. Her suggestion made him chuckle.
"Maybe. It depends on if you would like that, or not." Now he was being vague, dropping a hint to follow hers. "I'm sure I could find something that might even suit the tastes of a perceptive lady such as yourself."

more_horiz
Rachel smiled at his mention of the phone number. Her only joking turned out to be the thing of reality. She knew guys pretty well, but as always, she didn't want anyone coming too close to her. She feared criminals might use them to force Rachel's hand. She couldn't afford that or to put anyone's life in her hands. Maybe she could allow couple people, but not many. "Canad is fairly large country, and it's close to New York," said Rachel, looking at her watch. "Maybe I'll take you up on that offer someday," smiling again. "Oh, crap...I completely forgot. I was going to pick something for Stephan in the mall. I better get moving, before the mall closes." said Rachel.

more_horiz
Kas nodded, not forcing the issue. It was understandable that she wanted to keep people at a certain distance.
"Take care of yourself, hottiecakes." He snikkered.
"You know how to get in touch, if you ever need somebody.." for whatever reason.
Kelly gave her a smile, returning to watching the city below.

((Guessing this is Completed))

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum